Throughout all of our operations we strive to:
- Minimize our environmental impact and/or footprint.
- Pay a living wage to all our employees.
- Make ethical and responsible buying decisions, repairing & re-purposing where feasible.
- Offset what we can not reduce or eliminate.
We are a team of expert mariners, certified naturalists, and lovers of wildlife. We believe that education and showcasing responsible wildlife viewing behaviours are a key component of operating as a sustainable organization and help to shift the mindset of our guests.
A few of the key incentives we are committed to include:
- Offsetting our carbon footprint each year
- Self enforcing our own code of conduct for responsible wildlife viewing
- Engaging in citizen science and sharing our sightings through various sightings networks
- Maintaining our equipment to run at the highest efficiency
- Choosing local suppliers where possible
- Operating most of our systems paper free and using post consumer recycled paper for the rest
- Using cleaning products that are free of harmful chemicals
Campbell River Whale Watching and Adventure Tours vision is to be a leader among Vancouver Island Whale Watchers. We aim to inspire transformation in our guests behaviours and thought processes around sustainability and conservation through a connection with nature and wildlife.
Campbell River Whale Watching offers premier wildlife and nature experiences through respectful and ethical practices. Sustainability is factored into every decision we make as we continue to strive to improve our practices, and challenge our industry to join us and help make a difference.
Each year we reflect on our policies and develop new attainable goals for our operations. Some of these can be accomplished over the course of one year, and some over the course of multiple years. Over the past two years, we have been hard at work to achieve the goals we set for ourself at the start of our 2021 season. If you are interested in what we have accomplished so far, head on over to our blog where we talk about each of them in detail.
Below are the goals we are currently working towards:
- To increase our community impact through a minimum of 150 volunteer hours
- To conduct a waste audit and decrease our garbage going to landfills by 5%
- To form a partnership by 2023 to start developing a hybrid or plug in whale watching vessel
- To pursue deeper connections with our local Indigenous Nations, including attempting to move forward protocol agreements by 2024
- To form a partnership to develop a not for profit floating classroom education program aimed at students in SD 72 and SD 71
Check out our sustainability report below, and join us in our efforts by signing our visitor pledge!
We have been Carbon Neutral since our 2018 season! In partnership with Wilderness International, in 2018 we have protected 6848 m2 of pristine old-growth rain forest in British Columbia. Each square meter of rain forest holds 104.79 kilograms of CO2. We are offsetting our carbon footprint by 1.5x with a goal of reaching 2x by 2019. All of this is determined by an in-depth 2018 sustainability report (available below) which is a monumental achievement for a company with less than 20 employees.
Biosphere Sustainable Certified
Biosphere Sustainable is a comprehensive certification process that looks at a business' practices in terms of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. This approach takes a more full picture view of sustainability. Campbell River Whale Watching has achieved our certification through our work in each of the SDG categories. Our featured categories are: Responsible Consumption and Production, Climate Action, Life Below Water, Good Health and Well-Being, Quality Education, Sustainable Cities and Communities, Zero Hunger, and Reduced Inequalities. Learn more here!
BC Green Business Collective
We are proud to be a member of BC Green Business!
BC Green Business is a certification program that supports businesses looking for practical and affordable ways to reduce their environmental impact and contribute to their local communities. Businesses can be certified as Silver, Gold or Green (the highest level) and, in eligible regions, can also be certified as an Ocean Friendly Business based on ‘Surfrider Approved’ actions that focus on direct and positive impact for our oceans and waterways. The program has sector-specific certifications for the restaurant, retail, office, spa/salon, fleet, grocery, and food and beverage processing industries. BC Green Business is an initiative of the non-profit Synergy Foundation. We are proud to be certified GREEN and SURFRIDER APPROVED!
Sustainable Tourism Canada
We are excited to be apart of the Sustainable Tourism 2030 community! We currently hold a GOLD ranking and are always looking at ways we can do better. The following are some of our key initiatives that we do towards our Commitment to be Green:
- At the start of our 2018 season we switched our office over to an online booking platform as a major step towards making our operations paper free. The paper we do use is Earth Choice
- We collect a Sustainability fee from every guest who joins us onboard. Your Sustainability fee directly supports Conservation and Stewardship, Community Donations, and Education Programs.
- We use phosphate free cleaning products
- We have installed low flow toilets
- All of our lunches are made by a local caterer, and packaged in reusable containers and thermoses
- All of our boats are well maintained, and updated regularly ensuring they are fuel efficient
Invasive Species Council of BC
We recently attended ISCBC’s Invasive-Wise Tourism training session to become a certified Invasive-Wise Business!
ISCBC is a dynamic action-oriented organization, helping concerned stakeholders work together to stop the spread of invasive species in BC. They spearhead behaviour change in communities, organizations, governments and industry to help protect our province’s healthy habitats from invasive species.
We are currently awaiting our 2021 and 2022 Sustainability Report to be returned. Please check back, as well will post them here as soon as we get them!