Our Commitment to Sustainability
Throughout all of our operations we aim to minimize our environmental impact. Not only are our guides expert mariners, they are also certified naturalists whose love and ethical regard for marine wildlife is always evident. We believe that education and showcasing responsible wildlife viewing behaviors are a key components of operating as a sustainable organization. In 2018 we were honoured to receive the Sustainability award from Tourism Vancouver Island.
Green Tourism Canada
We are excited to be apart of the Green Tourism Canada community! We currently hold a Silver ranking and are always looking at ways we can do better. The following are some of our key initiatives that we do towards our Commitment to be Green.
- At the start of our 2018 season we switched our office over to an online booking platform as a major step towards making our operations paper free. The paper we do use is Earth Choice
- We collect $1 from every guest who joins us onboard towards NIMMSA (North Island Marine Mammal Stewardship Association). This fund goes to support conservation and education in our area
- We use phosphate free cleaning products
- We have installed low flow toilets
- All of our lunches are made by our local Snack Shack, and packaged in reusable containers and thermoses
- We have switched over to a cartridge free printer
- We have partnered with Green Way Trust through a monetary donation as well as participating in their annual Broom Bash aiming to eradicate Scottish Broom on the Campbell River Estuary
- All of our boats are well maintained, and updated regularly ensuring they are fuel efficient